What is the Vegan Mystery Box Challenge? It’s a fun way for vegan food bloggers to boost creativity, make connections, and share ideas! I was thrilled when Casey told me he had signed us up, and I instantly started thinking of recipe ideas! So, what was in the vegan mystery box, you ask?
Cranberries. Pistachios. Coconut milk.
How festive! Sweet, savory, creamy, crunchy, juicy, and versatile, the possibilities are truly endless. I didn’t consider very many different ideas, however, before I hit gold! I had recently unearthed a recipe for non-vegan Pumpkin Spice Gingersnap Truffles that Casey and I made together one Christmas over 5 years ago! It was one of the first things that we ever cooked together, and it’s one of my favorite memories. I think we crushed the gingersnaps by hand and kept taking the chocolate out of the fridge before it was firm enough to roll into balls. We were probably listening to Fall Out Boy or something similar and making big plans.
The old recipe for the truffles we often reminisce about was easy to veganize. I just substituted vegan chocolate and coconut cream for the heavy whipping cream. The savory crunch of pistachio and the tart sweetness of dried cranberries pair perfectly with semisweet chocolate and pumpkin pie spice. These truffles are indulgent, smooth, and dreamy. They would be welcome at any holiday gathering and even make a unique gift. Or you could keep them all to yourself.
Recipes from the Other Participants
Vegan Cranberry Pistachio Loaf by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Magic Fruit Cake Bars with White Chocolate Drizzle by One Ingredient Chef
Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French Toast by Connoisseurus Veg
Pistachio Crusted Cranberry Cashew Coconut Cheese by Lemon and Coconut
Cranberry Pistachio and Mango Salad by Veggies Save the Day
Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream with Candied Pistachios by Vegan Yak Attack
Cranberry Pistachio Donuts by Two City Vegans (Casey)
Cranberry Pistachio Gingersnap Truffles by Two City Vegans (Alix)
Warm Barley Bowl with Roasted Brussels, Sweet Potatoes and a Coconut Curry Dressing by Taste Space
Whole Wheat Cranberry Pistachio Vegan Biscotti by Veggie Inspired Journey
Coconut Pistachio Cashew Cheese Panini with Cranberry Jam by Peppers and Peaches
Toasted Pistachio Rice Pudding with Candied Cranberries by The Lazy Vegan Baker
Pistachio and Cranberry Cream Sandwich Cookies by Love Me Feed Me
Vegan Meringue Nests with Cranberry Coconut Whip and Crushed Pistachios by The Viet Vegan
Vegan Coconut Quinoa Salad by Beets Not Meats
Cranberry Orange & Pistachio Muffins With Vanilla Cream by A Virtual Vegan
Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls by Choose to Cook
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Cranberries and Pistachios by The Tofu Diaries
Lebanese Semolina Pudding (Layali Lubnan) by Lands and Flavors
Vegan Chocolate Cranberry Cake by The Seasonal Diet
Jolly Bollywood Holiday Curry by Sexie Veggies
- 1¼ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup of coconut cream, scooped from the top of a can of chilled coconut milk
- ⅓ cup gingersnaps, finely chopped in food processor (about 7 cookies)
- ⅓ cup pistachios, finely chopped in food processor
- ½ cup dried cranberries, finely chopped in food processor
- Add chocolate pieces, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla to a medium bowl.
- Scoop coconut cream into a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until boiling. Pour over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir with a fork or whisk until smooth, cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm but soft enough to rolls into balls.
- Place cranberries, pistachios, and gingersnaps into separate small bowls or plates. Scoop out rounded tablespoons of firm chocolate and form into balls. Roll each truffle in either the cranberries, pistachios, or gingersnaps to coat.
- Refrigerate until serving.