To what shall I compare my love of pizza? Truly, no comparison would do justice to my saucy mistress, that crusty vixen of many wiles. I have often dreamed of pizza. Even in my waking hours, it is not unusual for me to be overcome with the desire to lie down atop a bed of warm pizza. Last weekend, I very nearly cried when a friend told me they did not want to go get pizza. I didn’t cry, but I anguished internally until I realized we were going to get some really awesome vegan sushi!
If you’re like me, this recipe will make all of your wildest pizza dreams come true. The crispiness of the barbecue glazed tempeh and the crunch of the vegetables marry perfectly with the melted cheeze. It’s sweet, nutty, robust, complex, and it just doesn’t stop. After his first bite, my husband shouted, ” OH MY GOD.” and devoured the rest of his slice while informing me that lasagna was no longer his favorite meal.
If you make this recipe, post a photo and use #twocityvegans to share your creation!
- 1 store-bought or homemade pizza crust (Check the ingredients to make sure its vegan!)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for the crust
- ¾ to 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- ¾ cup crumbled or roughly chopped tempeh
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce (I used Kroger's Simple Truth Organic brand, but any will do.)
- ¼ of a red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- ⅛ to ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion according to your preference
- ½ cup broccoli florets chopped into small pieces
- Italian herb seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheddar style Daiya
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella style Daiya
- 3 Tbsp fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Sprinkle of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 and lightly brush your precooked pizza crust with olive oil.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to a pan over medium high heat. Add the tempeh and cook until it's golden and crispy. Add the barbecue sauce to the pan along with ¼ cup of water. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir to evenly coat the tempeh. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the liquid has cooked off and the tempeh is glazed in the sticky sauce. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Spoon enough marinara sauce to generously cover the crust into the center of the crust and spread evenly towards the edges.
- Mix all of the cheeze blend ingredients together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the sauce.
- Carefully spoon the slightly cooled crispy barbecue tempeh evenly on top of the cheeze blend. Now top your pizza with the broccoli, peppers, and onion. Use a spatula to gently press the veggies down over the cheeze blend. This ensures that they'll get anchored in the gooey melted cheeze later instead of tumbling off of your slice! Sprinkle your pizza with an Italian herb blend.
- Lower the oven temperature to 425 and place your pizza directly on the oven rack. Bake according to your pizza crust packaging instructions or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the veggies are slightly charred, usually 12-15 minutes. Slice it and enjoy while hot!